We provide services of work permit obtaining for foreign citizens in Ukraine. Our lawyers have more than 10 years of experience in employment law and we offer only high-quality services. During this process, we provide consultations, needed documents and legal support.
Price – $190 (state fee is not included)
Needed time – up to 14 days
How to get work permission in Ukraine? Documents needed.
Foreigners and stateless persons can be employed in Ukraine only after obtaining an appropriate permit that is issued by State Employment Service of Ukraine. These requirements are established by article 42 of the Law of Ukraine “On Employment”. People that have a permanent residency in Ukraine do not need a work permit to be employed.
Work permit in Ukraine can be issued for the period up to 3 years. Permission may be renovated before it is expired.
It is not a must for emploee to come to Ukraine with the aim of obtaining a work permit. It is a company to apply needed documents and to pay needed fees. Permission is issued to the employer (legal entity or sole proprietor), and not to the foreigner as an individual. So work permit can be used for employment in a particular company or organization. That means that if you will obtain an employment permit you will be allowed to work only in certain company on a certain position.
Making investment, economic and business activity by foreigners does not require obtaining a work permit. State registration of non-ukrainian as sole proprietor also does not require work permit obtaining. Permission is required if the foreigner intends to be appointed to the position of the head (Director, Director General, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, President) of legal entity of which he is a participant or owner.
Permit to work does not entitle a foreigner to reside in Ukraine. But, obtaining of work permit is one of the basics to obtain residence permit in Ukraine. Many individuals are getting a work permit with the aim of obtain a residence permit in Ukraine. There is no such type of visa for Ukraine as work visa.
If you want to establish a company in Ukraine and to be appointed as director, employment permit is a must. In such a way you will need ukrainian citizen to be a nominee director of the company up till the day when work permission is obtained.
The following documents must be applied to the state authority by employer:
- copy of passport (translated into Ukrainian and certified by the notary);
- one color photo (the size of 3.5 x 4.5 centimeters);
- draft employment contract;
As of 2018, the state fees for the employment permit are:
|1 – 3 years||UAH 10 572,00|
|6 months – 1 year||UAH 7 048,00|
|1 – 6 months||UAH 3 524,00|
Payment is made after the decition to issue a document was made but not later than 10 working days since that date. If the payment has not been made within 10 days, work permit is cancelled.
The law of Ukraine defines so called special categories of foreigners which are:
- is a founder or shareholder of a company in witch he is to be appointed as director or CEO;
- applies to hold a position that provides for the creation of objects of copyright and (or) related rights as the main labor;
- high qualified IT expert;
- has a diploma of higher education (according to the relevant category of profession) of one of the educational institutions ranked in the first hundred in one of such world rankings:
- Times Higher Education;
- Academic Ranking of World Universities;
- QS World University Rankings by Faculty;
- Webometrics Ranking of World Universities;
Who can obtain a work permit in Ukraine?
Any citizen, regardless of nationality. According to the laws of Ukraine, employment is permitted beginning from the age of 16. Persons who have made a crime previously may be refused in working permit obtaining.
Permission is also granted for the employment of:
- foreign citizens who are sent by a foreign employer to Ukraine to perform a certain amount of work (services) on the basis of contracts concluded between the domestic and foreign business entities; the percentage of qualified foreigners employed under the agreement does not exceed half of the total number of people working for Conditions of the contract;
- foreigners who are classified as “intra corporate transferees ” according to the schedule of specific obligations in the service sector, the Protocol on Ukraine’s accession to the WTO (Article II of the General Agreement on Trade in Services);
The detailed procedure for the employment permit, state fees, terms and requirements are regulated by the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
It is not required to obtain a work permit for the following categories of citizens:
- foreign citizens who have permanent residence permit in Ukraine;
- individuals that have obtained an immigration permit;
- foreigners who are recognized as persons in need of additional protection, or who are granted temporary protection in Ukraine;
- representatives of foreign maritime (river) fleet and airlines that serve such companies on the territory of Ukraine;
- employees of foreign media who are accredited to work in Ukraine;
- professional athletes, artists and art workers to work in Ukraine;
- workers of emergency services for urgent work;
- employees of foreign representative offices (registered in the territory of Ukraine in accordance with the procedure established by the law);
- ecclesiastics, clergymen who are to reside in Ukraine temporarily (on the ground of invitation of religious organization) for canonical or religious activity only in such religious organization;
- foreigners who arrived in Ukraine to participate in the implementation of international technical assistance projects;
- foreigners who arrived to conduct teaching and/or scientific activity in higher education institutions, universities etc;
- other foreigners in cases provided by laws and international treaties of Ukraine;
The involvement of highly qualified foreign specialists and workers, the need for which is required for Ukraine economy progress, is carried out on the grounds defined by Law of Ukraine “On Immigration”.
The employment of foreigner does not require the substantiation to an employment agency if that individual relies to special category of foreigners.
Legalization is needed for documents issued by the following countries: China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Qatar, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Canada, Afghanistan; most African countries: Morocco, Algeria, Tunis, Libya, Egypt, Angola, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritania, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, Somalia, Tanzania, South Sudan, Sudan.
Apostille needed (State parties to the Apostille convention) for documents issued by the following countries: all European Countries, United States of America, India, Russia, Belarus, Georgia, Japan, South Korea, Australia, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Argentina.